Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Fire and Emergency Services
    The Honourable Craig Crawford

    More research, extended consultation as part of bushfire review

    Minister for Fire and Emergency Services
    The Honourable Craig Crawford

    Friday, January 04, 2019

    More research, extended consultation as part of bushfire review

    An independent research company has been engaged to undertake an in-depth survey of Queenslanders as part of the 2018 Queensland Bushfires Review.

    The review, being undertaken by the Inspector-General Emergency Management, will assess the effectiveness of preparedness activity and response to the major bushfires that occurred from late November to early December.

    Fire and Emergency Services Minister Craig Crawford said market research company MCR would conduct a survey across three key fire-affected areas of the State which represent key aspects of the recent bushfires.

    The survey areas will be:

    -Eungella, Finch Hatton and Dalrymple Heights
    -Gracemere (near Rockhampton)
    -Agnes Water, Baffle Creek and Deepwater.

    Mr Crawford said the survey is just one of the strategies being used by the Office of the Inspector-General Emergency Management to gather information and comment on the bushfires.

    He said the in-depth survey would touch on key facets of the fire including public warnings and information, heatwave, evacuation, mitigation and public risk perception regarding bushfire and heatwave.

    “Public safety is at the heart of this review and so it is imperative that significant efforts are undertaken to comprehensively capture views, opinions and perspectives from the recent fire events,” Mr Crawford said.

    “The Palaszczuk Government is committed to ensuring that the best possible emergency management arrangements are in place for all Queenslanders.

    “These were unprecedented fires and we want feedback about our response to ensure we learn from it.”

    Inspector-General Emergency Management Iain MacKenzie said review team members from his office had already written directly to a range of key stakeholders seeking submissions.

    The Inspector- General said that, while initially these were requested by late January, he is happy to discuss timeframes with these stakeholders should they require a longer timeframe to prepare their views.

    Staff have already attended many agency and group debriefs and post-event community forums to hear first-hand public perspectives and experiences from the recent bushfires.

    Mr MacKenzie said the debriefs and community meetings would continue into the New Year, and so would attendance by himself and members of his office.

    “It is imperative we get to hear firsthand as many of the issues and perspectives raised by public as possible, to better inform the review,” Mr MacKenzie said.

    “We will continue to seek out and attend as many of these meetings as possible in the short term to achieve this goal.”

    Mr MacKenzie said public submissions to the review were welcomed and encourages any member of the public affected by the fires to contribute to the review by the end of February, 2019.

    Information on how to lodge a public submission is available online at www.igem.qld.gov.au

    “This review is about gathering facts and listening those involved so that we can further strengthen Queensland’s emergency management arrangements and practices,” Mr MacKenzie said.