Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries
    The Honourable Mark Furner

    Queensland Drought Appeal donations hit the ground

    Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries
    The Honourable Mark Furner

    Thursday, August 23, 2018

    Queensland Drought Appeal donations hit the ground

    The Queensland Drought Appeal is powering along, after passing the million-dollar mark earlier this week.

    Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries Mark Furner said the $1.12 million raised for Queensland farmers so far was already being put to good use.

    “The funds that have been so generously donated are being distributed to families in drought by the Queensland Country Women’s Association,” Mr Furner said.

    “Already more than a quarter of a million dollars has been administered to 98 families around the state.

    “Help has been provided to people in Longreach, Winton, Goondiwindi, Charleville, Cunnamulla.

    “These donations have gone towards urgent financial assistance for medical, dental, veterinary and other essential items, as well as electricity, rates, animal supplements and fodder.”

    Mr Furner said it was great to see companies and organisations like TabCorp, Santos, Rio Tinto, Shell and the LGAQ coming to the table with significant donations to go along with the hundreds of thousands donated by members of the public.

    “And it should also be noted that the Parliamentary Press Gallery donated $25,000, a truly generous offer.

    “If Queenslanders want to donate, I urge them to text drought to 0484 200 200 or visit qlddroughtappeal.com.au.”

    Mr Furner said in addition to the $670 million in assistance allocated to producers to date in this drought, an additional $9 million in assistance had been provided by the Palaszczuk Government to Queenslanders.

    “This increased package includes an extra $1 million to the freight subsidy scheme to allow producers to cart fodder up to 2000km, an extension of the maximum amount payable to primary producers up to $50,000 and $4 million for the Royal Flying Doctor Drought Wellbeing Service.

    “There will also be an additional $2 million that will be used to provide financial counselling to small businesses impacted by drought.

    “With climate change prolonging and worsening drought, we can be sure that whenever this drought breaks, there will be another one on the horizon.

    “That is why the Palaszczuk Government will support our producers now, and into the future with long-term tools needed to assist producers in our regions.”

    If producers want further information about drought assistance they can contact the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries on 13 25 23.

    Media: Brock Taylor – 0427 018 178