Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Fire and Emergency Services
    The Honourable Craig Crawford

    Queensland firefighters brace for busy period as bushfire risk increases

    Minister for Fire and Emergency Services
    The Honourable Craig Crawford

    Saturday, August 18, 2018

    Queensland firefighters brace for busy period as bushfire risk increases

    Extra crews remain on standby across the state as the risk of bushfires starting and spreading escalates over the next three days, Fire and Emergency Services Minister Craig Crawford said today (Saturday).

    Speaking in Townsville, Mr Crawford said the heightened threat was due to the “forecast of strong winds combined with bone dry grass and bushland”.

    “The latest update from Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is that there are almost 30 bushfire incidents across the state,” Mr Crawford said.

    “Thankfully QFES' hard-working crews were able to contain a large, fast moving grass fire which threatened structures at Kingaroy yesterday afternoon.

    “Extra crews remain on standby across the state, with the Bureau of Meteorology outlook indicating a very high fire danger for the next three days.

    “Forecast wind gusts combining with warm weather and parched grass and bushland are expected to fuel fires – which we've seen spread very quickly.

    “This latest threat follows a tremendous effort by QFES staff and volunteers last weekend, when 230 vegetation fires and exposures were reported across the state - a clear sign the fire season is about four to six weeks ahead of schedule.”

    Mr Crawford reminded residents that fire bans had been imposed in the Ipswich, Somerset, Lockyer, Logan, Scenic Rim and Gold Coast local government areas. 

    The bans, which took effect at midnight on Wednesday, August 15 will remain in place until midnight this Monday.

    Permits to light fires were suspended in Moreton Bay, Brisbane and Redland City local government areas from midnight on Thursday, August 16 and will remain in place until conditions improve.

    Mr Crawford encouraged everyone in the community to review and practice their Bushfire Survival Plan.

    “It is vitally important to be prepared and people should have a Bushfire Survival Plan so they know what actions they would take if a bushfire were to threaten their home,” he said.

    Mr Crawford urged people to report any sign of fire to Triple Zero (000).

    KEEP UP-TO-DATE BY: •           Following QFES on Facebook (@QldFireandRescueService) and Twitter (@QldFES) •           Staying tuned to your local radio station

    • Visiting the Rural Fire Service (RFS) website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map

    FURTHER INFORMATION: •           For bushfire preparation tips, visit the RFS website: www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/BushFire_Safety •           For information about road closures, call 13 19 40 or visit www.qldtraffic.qld.gov.au

    ENDS

    MEDIA 0412 393 909