Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Fire and Emergency Services
    The Honourable Craig Crawford

    Twenty-one new firefighters announced for Fraser Coast (Maryborough), Bundaberg and Sunshine Coast

    Minister for Fire and Emergency Services
    The Honourable Craig Crawford

    Friday, July 20, 2018

    Twenty-one new firefighters announced for Fraser Coast (Maryborough), Bundaberg and Sunshine Coast

    Regional centres will benefit from the Palaszczuk Government’s $29 million commitment to deliver 100 new firefighting jobs in Queensland, Fire and Emergency Services Minister Craig Crawford said today (Friday, July 20).

    Announcing where the first round of 62 new firefighters will be based under the “unprecedented” four-year commitment, Mr Crawford said the North Coast Region would receive 21 new recruits.

    “The Palaszczuk Government is committed to ensuring Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) has the personnel, infrastructure and equipment to deliver enhanced services and support,” Mr Crawford said.

    “We reaffirmed this commitment to Queensland communities in this year’s record $702 million QFES Budget, and now we are delivering on our election promise to boost frontline services in these areas.

    “Four recruits will be deployed in Maryborough, 12 in Bundaberg and five on the Sunshine Coast.

    “Regional centres across Queensland are continuing to grow, so it is only fitting more frontline firefighting staff are sent to these areas to meet future demand,” he said.

    Mr Crawford said the allocation of the firefighting positions had been determined by QFES, based on operational priorities.

    “These additional firefighters will go a long way towards boosting frontline services and we will continue working with the QFES Commissioner Katarina Carroll and stakeholders regarding the deployment of the remaining 38 recruits – to ensure QFES has the resources it needs to keep Queenslanders safe,” he said.

    Mr Crawford said the Palaszczuk Government was delivering on yet another election promise, by funding an additional 12 fire communications officers at yet-to-be-confirmed locations.

    “Once again, the QFES Commissioner will determine where these officers will be best placed to serve Queensland communities.”

    Member for Maryborough Bruce Saunders welcomed today’s announcement, which he said would ensure regional centres were resourced to meet growing demand.

    “The Palaszczuk Government recognises communities across Queensland are growing and thriving, and it is imperative we continue to look forward to meet their needs, both now and into the future,” he said.

    “These additional resources will ensure the community is protected and fire and emergency services can continue to support their local communities,” he said.

    Mr Crawford said the Palaszczuk Government’s record QFES 2018-19 Budget invested $82.3 million for fire and emergency services facilities, vehicles, information and communication systems and equipment.

    He said this included $8.1 million in 2018-19 to the commencement and delivery of new auxiliary Fire and Rescue stations, including Childers, Kilkivan and Yarraman.

    “The 2018-2019 Budget also includes more than $1 million of the $3 million committed during the election campaign towards the commencement of a new QFES complex in Maleny that will accommodate the local Rural Fire Service (RFS), State Emergency Service (SES) and Auxiliary Fire and Rescue Service.  

    “And a multi-million-dollar replacement Fire and Rescue Station – complete with new appliances - will be built in Hervey Bay.

    “The new station will eventually be home to 21 permanent and 10 auxiliary firefighters, and is expected to be completed in late 2021,” he said.

    On top of the new firefighters, Mr Crawford said QFES would be deploying 180 new urban and rural fire appliances (119 for the Rural Fire Service, and 61 for Fire and Rescue) across the state under a 2018-19 $44.3 million Budget commitment.

    “This will mean the Palaszczuk Government will have delivered more than 280 new QFES appliances over the past two financial years,” Mr Crawford said.

    “More than 100 new fire appliances were rolled out in the 2017-18 financial year under a $40 million Palaszczuk Government commitment to renew QFES’ fleet.

    “Forty-four appliances were delivered to Fire and Rescue Crews under the 2017-18 fleet renewal program – a total of 24 in the South Western (12), South Eastern (6) and Brisbane Regions (6); nine in the Central Queensland Region; a total of eight in the Northern (6) and Far Northern Regions (2), and three in the North Coast Region.

    “Sixty-two new appliances valued at almost $15 million were also delivered to the Rural Fire Service last financial year.

    “A total of 27 were deployed in the South Western (11) and South Eastern Regions (16); 19 in the North Coast Region, nine in the Northern (2) and Far Northern Regions, and seven in the Central Region,” he said.

    ENDS

    MEDIA 0412 393 909