Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier and Minister for Trade
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
    Deputy Premier, Treasurer and Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships
    The Honourable Jackie Trad
    Minister for State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning
    The Honourable Cameron Dick

    State commits $38 million to strengthen disaster resilience

    JOINT STATEMENT

    Premier and Minister for Trade
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Deputy Premier, Treasurer and Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships
    The Honourable Jackie Trad

    Minister for State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning
    The Honourable Cameron Dick

    Tuesday, May 22, 2018

    State commits $38 million to strengthen disaster resilience

    The Palaszczuk Government has announced a new $38 million fighting fund to strengthen the state’s resilience to future disasters and has called on the Commonwealth to match its commitment.

    Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the $38 million Disaster Resilience Fund would support local governments, state agencies and non-government organisations with disaster mitigation projects.

    “Queensland is the most disaster-impacted state in Australia, with $14 billion in damage to public infrastructure caused by more than 60 natural disasters over the past nine years,” the Premier said.

    “Upfront investment doesn’t just protect regional communities, it saves all Queensland communities in the long run.

    “We know that the best way to re-build after a natural disaster is to make things better than they were before.

    “For instance, the cost of recovering from Cyclone Debbie was not as great as it might have been because of the $100M we invested making our infrastructure more resilient after Cyclones Oswald and Marcia.”

    Deputy Premier and Treasurer Jackie Trad said the State had been forced to act as the Federal Government had not funded any disaster mitigation and resilience initiatives in the recent Federal Budget.

    “We have no commitment from the Federal Government to continue the Natural Disaster Resilience Program and no certainty around how natural disaster funding reforms will deliver funding for resilience,” the Deputy Premier said.

    “The Commonwealth has promised a new national disaster funding model from the 1st of July, but are still yet to provide us with a final set of arrangements.

    “Even if the reforms are passed, there is not likely to be any new funding for resilience activities delivered under the arrangements for at least three years.

    “Queensland can’t wait that long to take action. The Disaster Resilience Fund we are establishing aims to bridge that gap.”

    Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning Cameron Dick said the $38 million will fund local governments, state agencies and non-government organisations to deliver mitigation and resilience projects.

    “The four-year funding package will be outlined in next month’s State Budget to ensure resilience work can get underway in parallel with disaster reconstruction works,” Minister Dick said.

    “I call on the Federal Government to match us dollar for dollar in the Disaster Resilience Fund so Queensland can get on with the job of protecting our communities against future disasters.

    “The Disaster Resilience Fund is an important step in making Queensland the most disaster resilient state in Australia.”

    The Disaster Resilience Fund aligns with the aims of the Queensland Strategy for Disaster Resilience, which identifies a need for the state to invest in resilience and mitigation projects that:

    address the state’s assessed natural disaster risks and the potential impacts of climate change;

    • align with locally led risk, vulnerability and capability assessments; and consider local and district priorities;
    • support communities to build resilience to future natural disaster events through education and awareness programs; and
    • protect existing essential public infrastructure from future natural disaster events.

    Media contacts:

    Shane Doherty (Premier’s office) 0439 624 473

    Clare Manton (Deputy Premier’s office) 0432 446 268

    Joe Begley (Minister Dick’s office) 0447 320 039