Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier and Minister for Trade
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
    Acting Minister for Communities and Minister for Disability Services and Seniors
    The Honourable Shannon Fentiman
    Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries
    The Honourable Mark Furner

    Assistance flowing for communities affected by fires

    JOINT STATEMENT

    Premier and Minister for Trade
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Acting Minister for Communities and Minister for Disability Services and Seniors
    The Honourable Shannon Fentiman

    Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries
    The Honourable Mark Furner

    Wednesday, December 05, 2018

    Assistance flowing for communities affected by fires

    Help for Queenslanders affected by the worst bushfires the state has ever seen is flowing to the people and places which need it the most.

    Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said nearly $900,000 in Emergency Hardship Assistance grants had been paid out to residents across the state.

    “While generous Queenslanders are donating to the fire appeal, government help is also going out,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

    More than 2253 applications have been received for Emergency Hardship Assistance grants and nearly 100 calls to the Community Recovery Hotline have been made.

    And there are currently more than 170 community recovery workers assisting bushfire affected communities.

    Help is also available to aid community recovery on the ground in: 

    • Gladstone Regional Council - Baffle Creek, Deepwater, Oyster Creek, Rules Beach, Taunton, Ambrose, Mount Larcom and Captain Creek
    • Mackay Regional Council - Campwin Beach, Crediton, Eungella, Dalrymple Heights, Finch Hatton, Netherdale and Sarina Beach
    • Bundaberg Regional Council - Winfield
    • Rockhampton Regional Council - Gracemere, Kabra, Stanwell, Alton Downs and Nine Mile

     Other hubs will open as the need arises.

    Acting Communities Minister Shannon Fentiman said grants were available to individuals who were experiencing hardship in the wake of the fires.

    “Assistance of up to $180 per person - to a maximum of $900 for a family of five or more - are available to people experiencing financial hardship as a result of the bushfires,” Ms Fentiman said.

    “The grants are to help cover the costs of essential items, such as food and clothing, and applications can be made via www.communityrecovery.qld.gov.au or by calling the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349.”

    Agriculture Minister Mark Furner said 'Category B assistance' had also been activated for affected primary producers in the Gladstone, Rockhampton and Mackay Regional Council areas.

    “This means primary producers affected by the bushfires can apply for concessional loans of up to $250,000.

    “They are also eligible for essential working capital loans of up to $100,000 and freight subsidies of up to $5,000.”

    The Queensland Government’s Temporary Emergency Accommodation Plan has also been activated to enable support to displaced residents.

    If you need emergency housing, you can register by calling 13QGOV (13 74 68).

    Media Contact:

    Premier’s office - Chris O’Brien 0419 774 004

    Minister Fentiman’s office – Inga Williams 0439 949 719

    Minister Furner’s office – Ron Goodman 0427 781 920