Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection and Minister for National Parks and the Great Barrier Reef
    The Honourable Steven Miles

    Great Barrier Reef Minister announces successful contractor to dredge for ex-HMAS Tobruk

    Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection and Minister for National Parks and the Great Barrier Reef
    The Honourable Steven Miles

    Thursday, March 16, 2017

    Great Barrier Reef Minister announces successful contractor to dredge for ex-HMAS Tobruk

    Preparations for the scuttling of the ex-HMAS Tobruk have reached another milestone, with the Palaszczuk Government awarding a $325,000 contract to undertake maintenance dredging.

    Minister for National Parks and the Great Barrier Reef Steven Miles announced today the contract had been awarded to Queensland-based Neumann Contractors Pty Ltd.

    Mr Miles said the experienced contractors had previously carried out dredging in this area for the Bundaberg Port.

    “Neumann Contractors will undertake the removal of approximately 15,000 cubic metres of material from the marina basin, and pump it through a pipeline to the Port of Bundaberg’s onshore disposal site about one kilometre from the dredge area,” Mr Miles said.

    “Dredging is due to start in early April 2017 with completion planned by the end of April 2017, weather permitting”.

    Mr Miles said the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) had awarded the contract on behalf of the Department of National Parks, Sport and Racing (NPSR).

    “This is a great example of multi-agency cooperation with NPSR, TMR, Maritime Safety Queensland and Gladstone Ports Corporation combining forces to get a job done quickly,” he said.

    Member for Bundaberg Leanne Donaldson said Neumann Contractors had over 50 years’ experience in dredging, and completed dredging works in Bundaberg in 2013 following severe flooding in the area.

    “The dredging work will enable the relocation of the decommissioned vessel to Bundaberg Port Marina, at the mouth of the Burnett River, where it will undergo final preparations before being scuttled and transformed into a world-class dive site and reef,” she said.

    The scuttling of the ex-HMAS Tobruk is a $10.25 million project in partnership with Bundaberg and Fraser Coast Regional Councils to create an artificial reef and world-class dive site. 

    The two-year project will support an estimated 50 new local jobs.

    The ex-HMAS Tobruk is expected to attract more than 5000 extra, high yielding divers annually to the region, generating significant spending and flow-on economic benefits to major hubs such as Bundaberg and Hervey Bay.

    ENDS

    MEDIA 0422 580 342